Tuesday 19 May 2015

'Blown & Away' by my birthday beach visit


As soon as our arrival date in Australia was confirmed as being 3 days before my birthday, I'd planned my birthday day. As a long term fan of Home & Away it had to be spent on location at Palm Beach. My toes last kissed the sand there a decade ago so I was eager to see if it was as beautiful as I remembered or had I glorified the memory over the years through the lense of a Channel 7 camera hovering over Summer Bay.

We arrived at lunchtime so stopped at the Boathouse restaurant at Governor Phillip Park. We sat outside to take in the view over the wharf. It seemed so familiar. I sat there half expecting Irene or Marilyn to take my order, knowing in reality of course that wouldn't happen - the inside scenes weren't shot here so Irene would be serving elsewhere! It was so windy & cold with bottles being blown over and the kids shivering under the blankets that reluctantly we moved under cover. The hot chocolate, fizz and food soon arrived to warm us up. Highly recommend the prawns, fish pie and tuna crackers.

After a very satisfying lunch we popped next door to Alf's Bait Shop. Exactly how it looks in Summer Bay. They had sust out the merchandising. I was restricted to just buying the T-shirt, this time. I posed for pictures behind the counter before taking our icecreams outside and sat under the Australian flag to reflect on the silver shadows dancing on the waves.

We hopped over to the beach. Still too windy for us to even consider more than a quick paddle. We played chicken with every wave while we admired the surfers who were slightly more selective about their waves.

There is something magical about the walkways from the grass down to the beach that you just have to capture. It's like an open doorway to calmness. Plus there's always a slight chance a Braxton boy could be coming out of the surf!

No comments:

Post a Comment