Wednesday 27 May 2015

First day of School


First day nerves were overflowing as we set off on foot for the short journey to school on Monday morning. There wasn't much traffic but even if there was you could've probably heard the loud heart beats or the brain waves wondering what the differences of this new school would be? What to expect? Will it be easy to make friends? Have I packed the right lunch? So many questions spinning around in my head, but it was time to put aside my feelings of unease and focus on putting my son at ease.

We arrived at school half an hour before it started as instructed. The admin team were busy with other parent queries so we sat and took in the welcoming entrance area with the large ceramic mural made by pupils of the pupils. The Principal came out and greeted us, then his new teacher led us to the classroom. He was shown his desk, given exercise books, we took in the City view from the window and introduced ourself to the fish. It was then a return to the playground for the start of the school day. And what a different start it was...

The old bell rings and the assembly begins. It takes place outside in the playground with all the kids sitting on the floor in their class rows. Parents are welcome to hang around for it. This wasn't a boring assembly where the attendees are lectured to. Greetings are said and notices are read out by the children; daily rota's are given; time for a song and then the assembly is concluded. Kids are asked to wish a good morning to their parents and head off into their classrooms.

My son was busy talking to the boy he was sitting next to. This is quite a surprise for me as he is very shy with new people. He walked right past me too immersed in his conversation to even notice me longing for a goodbye wave. Leaving me standing in an almost deserted playground feeling completely lost. Didn't he understand it was my first day of school too?!

The assembly obviously wasn't targeted just at me but as one of my first impressions of the school in action it did put me at ease. The interactive delivery of information to the kids in a relaxed atmosphere, keeping their attention, and respecting the speakers, gave me what I hope is an insight into how lessons are delivered. I felt a sense of warmth generated within the playground walls, justifying the repeated use of 'community' in the schools marketing material.

Now I just need to compose myself and fill the next 5 hours before pick up time. We'd already agreed on going for a celebratory ice-cream. I'm emotionally exhausted, I've already earnt a double scoop and it's only 9.40am. I've told myself if I can hold back the tears when I pick him up then i'll have earnt sprinkles on top of my chocolate and mango sorbet.

1 comment:

  1. I hope he had a wonderful day and you survived pick up! Loving hearing all about your new adventure! <3

    ReplyDelete